From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Backup program that compresses data but only changes new files.
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 05:25:59
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > > As it is, I have several options.  In a way, I wish I could tell
10 > > > rsync to do 1st half of alphabet to one drive and then with next
11 > > > command tell it to do the 2nd half of alphabet.  That would likely
12 > > > split the data in half for each one.
13 > > >
14 > > > You can do that, at least with a small kludge I'm sure. rsync supports
15 > > > excluding directories and file names. As an example:
16 > > >
17 > > > rsync -avx --port=873
18 > > > --exclude={.cache,.nv,'google-chrome*',DiskImages} /home/mark
19 > > > mark@truenas1:/mn
20 > > > t/MyPool/mark/Backups/science/.
21 > > >
22 > > > There's a test open (?? -n maybe ??) that allows you to see what it
23 > > > would do.
24 > > >
25 > > > I'm sure you can figure that part out. The above line is just in a
26 > > > script file for me
27 > > >
28 > > > HTH,
29 > > > Mark
32 > > In the directory I'm backing up, there is over 400 directories.  That
33 > > would be a LOT of --exclude options.  Also, I would have to adjust the
34 > > exclude options each time I added a new directory, which can be several
35 > > a day sometimes.  The word nightmare comes to mind.  Loss of hair is
36 > > also a thought.  :-D
37 > >
38 > > I'm just glad I got a bigger hard drive coming.  That's the easiest fix
39 > > at the moment.
40 > >
41 > > Dale
42 > >
43 > > :-)  :-)
44 >
45 > I have my movies in a directory called VideoLib and then
46 > subdirectories A, B, C, etc. If you rearranged a little bit you could
47 > subdivide your movies and use symbolic links to make it look more
48 > flat. That sort of arrangement would mean 2 files with 13 excludes in
49 > each for the movies. You could leave the rest alone, create a 3rd file
50 > and exclude the top level movie directories.
51 >
52 > Anyway, I just wanted to provide an option. Only you know what works
53 > for your work flow.
54 >
55 > Good luck,
56 > Mark
61 I did think about doing it that way but sometimes I can't recall the
62 name of something I'm looking for and just have to scan down the list.
63 Breaking it up that way would complicate the matter because I'd have to
64 go look deeper.  As time goes on, I'd have to break it up even more
65 which would result in having to go even deeper.  There may be a way to
66 do it with linking or something but that could get interesting too.
67 I've already got some divided up but even that causes issues sometimes.
68
69 It's interesting, having all this data is neat but it can cause brain
70 teasers to sort through.  ;-)  I'm still considering that Raspberry Pi
71 thing tho.  Small, power efficient etc etc.  Lots of ideas.
72
73 Dale
74