From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 08:09:14
1 On Sunday 29 September 2013 14:45:05 Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-29 2:25 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > >> The way I see it, if you cannot provide a rational answer to that
5 > >> question, then there is no reason for you to use this as a reason to
6 > >> abandon gentoo, only a reason to merge /usr into /...
7 > >
8 > > Simple, I have never had to resize / or /boot before. I have had to
9 > > resize /usr, /var and /home several times tho. THAT is the reason.
10 >
11 > Ok, but... everything I've read and personal experience over the years
12 > shows that space required for /usr should not change much, especially
13 > constantly grow over time (like requirements for /home can and will)- it
14 > may fluctuate (increase, decrease) *a little* over time, but it
15 > definitely should not grow substantially, so, if you had to resize it,
16 > most likely it is because you simply didn't allocate enough room to
17 > start with.
18
19 Then what would be a correct size for the "/" partition when putting "/usr" on
20 there as well?
21 I have had no issues with giving "/" 500MB, "/boot" another 500MB and have
22 everything else with minimal values on LVM and extending partitions without
23 rebooting the machine whenever necessary.
24 If I am now forced to put "/usr" on "/", detailed steps on how to migrate all
25 my systems succesfully with minimal downtime would be appreciated. Along with
26 a size-indication that will:
27 1) Always be sufficient
28 2) Not be a waste of valuable diskspace
31 > > For me, it doesn't matter if it is rational to YOU or not.
32 >
33 > Sorry, but rationality is not subjective. Just because something seems
34 > to be rational to you doesn't mean that it is.
35 >
36 > You have still not stated a logical, rational reason for wanting a
37 > separate /usr.
38
39 Dale has, and so have I, see above.
40
41 > > I am the one doing things on my puter not you or anyone else. If the
42 > > init thingy fails, that will be me staring at a error message, not
43 > > you.
44 >
45 > I don't want one of those things either, but that isn't what I was
46 > questioning you about.
47 >
48 > Of course you can do whatever you want *and* are technically capable of
49 > on your own computer, but that doesn't automatically make those things
50 > logical or rational.
51 >
52 > I did see one good case for a separate /usr (someone who was using
53 > ancient PATA drives, and something about striping for performance), but
54 > that was obviously a corner case...
55
56 Actually, it isn't a corner case.
57 Striping increases performance, I use it as well.
58 Why put all the software that I load when needed (and expect to be thrown out
59 of memory when not used) on a single disk when you have the option to put all
60 that on a RAID0 (striping) set?
63 Joost