From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Override DHCP-provided DNS
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 15:05:16
1 Hello list!
2
3 for some wireless access points, I want to get an IP via DHCP but not
4 use the provided DNS-server (I use an openvpn setup with its own DNS
5 server, domain name, etc.).
6
7 In /usr/share/doc/openrc-0.8.2-r1/net.example it reads:
8 # Setting name/domain server causes /etc/resolv.conf to be overwritten
9 # Note that if DHCP is used, and you want this to take precedence then
10 # please put -R in your dhcpcd options
11
12 But dhcpcd does not seem to have a -R option. It does have a --static
13 option, though. While this is good enough for simply setting the DNS
14 server, it does not seem to allow specifying domain names or
15 search-domains (at least it is not shown in the man-page).
16
17 Please tell me what the proper way is and whether the mention of "-R" is
18 a documentation bug.
19
20 Thanks in advance,
21 Florian Philipp