From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:59:42
1 On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get my new Hauppage USB tv stick to
3 > work under linux.
4 >
5 > I have been constantly perplexed by references to compilable kernel modules
6 > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because they referred to old modules or
7 > something.
8 >
9 > But having downloaded and booted into Knoppix and run make menuconfig on
10 > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to have 10's of TV card chipset
11 > drivers availible to compile whereas gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
12 > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
13 >
14 > Can someone offer me some assistance as to why this might be?
15 >
16 > Thank you
17 >
18 > (This is my first mailing list post - please be gentle!)
19 >
20 > -----------------------
21 > N: Jon Hardcastle
22 > E: Jon@×××××××××××.com
23 > 'The writing is on the wall...'
25
26 because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are developed outside of the main
27 kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under experimental.
28
29 For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial rep and do a make, make
30 install in it do get drivers that work. And with 'work' I mean: no sound on
31 first try, but after disconnecting the stick and reconnecting it, it suddenly
32 works.