From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't stop the panic on eeepc
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 23:56:41
1 On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 20:23, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi group,
4 >
5 > My 900A with a fresh gentoo install boots into a panic. Says it doesn't like my root=/dev/sda2 option. But that *is* the root partition.
6 >
7 > fstab:
8 >
9 > /dev/sda1   /boot     ext2    noauto,noatime     1 2
10 > /dev/sda2   /         ext3    noatime            0 1
11 >
12 > almost exactly like the model in the quick-install guide which uses a swap partition for /dev/sda2 and calls /dev/sda3 /.
13 >
14 > grub.conf:
15 >
16 > default 0
17 > timeout 10
18 >
19 > title Gentoo
20 > root (hd0,0)
21 > kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda2 # 'kernel /kernel' also works
22 >
23 > The disk SSHD is divided into two partitions, the first I mount at /boot is formatted ext2, the seconded I mount at / is formatted ext3. Drivers for both fs are include *in* the kernel.
24 >
25 > One thing I noticed when I setup grub is that the USB stick which holds the liveOS xubuntu is called /dev/sda and the SSHD /dev/sdb. Which I took into account:
26 >
27 > grub> root (hd1,0)  #which gives the appropriate response
28 > grub> setup (hd1)   #ditto
29 >
30 > But of course when I boot w/o the USB stick I go back to calling the drive (hd0). I assume that's correct because poking around on the command line when I get to the splash screen proves it. If I enter the command kernel / and hit tab it displays
31
32 You gotta use a "delay" (or "wait", can't remember exactly) parameter
33 for the kernel to wait while the disc is recognized, dunno exactly,
34 but 2 to 5 seconds should be enough. I have an EEE 701 and had the
35 same problem.
38 Daniel da Veiga