From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 17:04:12
1 On 10/07/2011 12:16 PM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
2 >
3 > out of interest: why do you have different configs? even if you have
4 > different hardware you could still build a "one fits all"-kernel. or
5 > are they that specialized?
8 We share kernel config whenever possible, but there are a few cases
9 where they have to diverge. Basically any option that can't be compiled
10 as a module is a candidate. Off the top of my head,
11
12 * We've got x86/amd64
13 * Intel/AMD
14 * A couple with RAID hardware that can't have its module installed.
15 * One server with a tulip NIC that can't use a particular driver.
16 * A set where hyperthreading needs to be disabled
17 * A virtual machine host that needs certain hardening features
18 disabled
19 * A separate config for VM guests
20 * Headless vs. GUI requires more grsec/pax tweaking
21 * Different HZ settings. Power management in general depends on what
22 the box will be doing.
23 * A firewall with no non-essential modules available
24
25 We keep the configs in git, so if two are similar I can usually just
26 pull the last changeset (after a make oldconfig) over. What sucks is
27 testing, and of course driving to work to reboot everything off-hours.
30 > lets just agree on that. im kinda tired of this discussion. there's
31 > nothing we can do about it anyway.
34 Agreed.