From: Andrew Frink <andrew.frink@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggested network fs for small lan ?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:46:37
1 On 7/22/06, Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name> wrote:
2 >
3 > Nick Rout schrieb:
4 >
5 > > I wasted days getting NFS to not work. I switched to CIFS. It is working
6 > very well.
7 >
8 > Is file locking working over CIFS? How about permissions
9 > and ownership? Working as well and easy as it does on NFS?
10 > What kind of problems did you have with NFS - I'm asking,
11 > as I can't think about anything easier than NFS on *nix.
12 >
13 > Alexander Skwar
14 > --
15 > I know how to do SPECIAL EFFECTS!!
16 > --
17 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
22 Alexander,
23 i would say that NFS is the easiest if all of your UID's are the same for
24 every user on the network, there is no reason that you would ever want mount
25 it from the outside, through a packet mangling NAT with your normal
26 permissions, and you have static IP's. that seems to be alot of conditions
27 to me. I personaly would love to NFS+ that had some form of public key auth
28 in it and encryption, yes i know you can do it with SSH tunnles, but still
29 doesn't fix the permissions problem
30
31 Andrew