From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] postfixadmin vacation user uid/home in /etc/passwd
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:52:02
1 On 12/29/2010 9:14 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > I'm updating an old system I inherited that has postfixadmin 2.1
5 > installed, and I have a question about the vacation user entry in
6 > /etc/passwd...
7 >
8 > Can I just change it directly (by editing the file with a text editor)
9 > without worrying about anything breaking?
10 >
11 > Currently it is:
12 >
13 > vacation:x:1003:65501::/home/vacation:/bin/bash
14 >
15 > and I want to change it to be the same as the INSTALL.TXT recommends:
16 >
17 > vacation:x:65501:65501::0:0:Virtual Vacation:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
18 >
19 > So, can I just edit the file and be done with it?
20 >
21 > Also, out of curiosity - can /etc/passwd file contain comments?
22 >
23 > Thanks...
26 To your original question, if it works I not would touch it. You may
27 want to look in /home/vacation for .forward or other files that might be
28 helping the vacation functions work if you do decide to change
29 /etc/passwd. IIRC and it's been years vacation was a bit flakey under
30 2.1 and it required a fair amount of undocumented tweaking to work
31 correctly though it did get better in late 2.1.x.
32 I would consider a plan to upgrade to 2.3.2, but it would be far
33 simpler to build a new system and switch over to it than upgrade in
34 place. And safer.
35
36 kashani