From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 20:50:35
1 On 27/08/2013 11:26, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>> Isn't it strange that those people seem to have less problems with closed
7 >>>> source than with a license that gives more freedom than the GPL? But
8 >>>> you are correct that the problem seem to be humans and not a license text.
9 >>>
10 >>> You are aware that the GPL was not really intended to be used together
11 >>> with other licenses? It was really intended to create an entire
12 >>> operating system, all of which was 100% licensed as GPL, all of which
13 >>> comprise an original work written from scratch
14 >>
15 >> But it has been proven that you cannot create a 100% GPL OS.
16 >> More than 50% of all Linux distros are under different licenses...
19 > Sorry, this should be: More than 50% of a typical Linux distro is
20 > under different licenses...
23 All we can state for sure is that no-one has yet created a fully 100%
24 GPL operating system. If you persuade FSF to relicense glibc to you as
25 GPL it *is* possible to do it for kernel and (a somewhat crippled)
26 userland. But not for firmware.
27
28 But this is beside the point, I was illustrating Stallman's intent, not
29 whether that intent could be realized or not.
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com