From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2019 00:38:26
1 вт, 1 янв. 2019 г. в 06:45, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
2 >
3 > With the newer Firefox versions, I've noticed something weird about
4 > downloading files. Usually these are videos using a download helper for
5 > videos and sometimes it is a normal file download, depends on the site.
6 > Either way, I get something odd at times. So far, I've yet to see any
7 > rhyme or reason to it. I can't figure out what triggers it. This is
8 > what it does. I start a download, either using a video helper add on or
9 > downloading as a file. I give it a name and location and it shows in
10 > the download window that it is downloading. However, if I go to the
11 > directory where it should be, sometimes nothing shows up. It will
12 > complete the download and then show that it failed after finishing the
13 > download. However, if I notice that it is not in the directory where it
14 > should be and I go back to the download window, hit pause and then
15 > resume, it starts over from the beginning and then shows up in the
16 > directory where it should be. Most of the time, it shows up that it is
17 > downloading and it is where it should be without be doing anything
18 > further but sometimes, it doesn't.
19 >
20 > One other thing that it does on rare occasions. It will show it is
21 > downloading for a good while, sometimes more than half way, then
22 > disappear in the directory as if it is deleted but still show that it is
23 > downloading in the download window. I've only seen it do that a few
24 > times but it is annoying to look and make sure it is downloading a file
25 > that takes a hour or more only to have it disappear part way through.
26 >
27 > This started with the new multi-process versions or whatever it is
28 > called of Firefox. It acts like a permissions problem or something to
29 > me. It either thinks it doesn't have write permissions at the start or
30 > thinks it loses them part way through or something. If it only did this
31 > when using the add on, I'd think it is that but it also does it when I'm
32 > downloading as a file with no add on being used. Either way, I'm not
33 > sure what to look into really. I'm not even sure what to google for to
34 > see if anyone else is noticing this. What does one call this problem???
37 I experience similar problems with downloading files in Firefox for quite
38 a long time. I cannot say for how long time exactly, but estimating it
39 from memory: for about a few years. Yes, t is quite annoying but
40 currently I have already got the habit to open download manager
41 every time I download a file, stop downloading it and then restart again.
42 (I even try to do the same automatically while using other web browsers
43 like chromium or google-chrome. :)
44
45 However, I believe that it has nothing to do with "the newer Firefox versions"
46 as I still use Firefox version 52.9.0 (compiled without clang) and all these
47 troubles with downloading files started even on much more earlier versions.