From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts? in browsers?
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:48:22
1 On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > How do you specify a link-local ipv6 address in /etc/hosts?
4 >
5 > For example, I can ping/telnet/ssh to fe80::02c0:4eff:fe07:0005%eth1,
6 > but I can't figure out how to put that address in /etc/hosts so I can
7 > access it by name.
8
9 Just put the address without the %iface. Then you must specify the
10 interface in your program, for example:
11
12 in /etc/hosts:
13 fe80::02c0:4eff:fe07:0005 foobar
14
15 ping6 -I eth0 foobar
16
17 should work.
18
19 > Similarly, how do you enter an ipv6 link-local address in Firefox or
20 > Opera?  curl seems to accept such an address and return the proper web
21 > page, but I can't find any interactive browser (graphical or
22 > command-line) that will accept a link-local address.  So far I've
23 > tried Firefox Opera w3m links. According to RFC2732 it looks like the
24 > format should be
25 >
26 >  http://[fe80::02c0:4eff:fe07:0005%eth1]:80/
27
28 % in a URL must be escaped, so you probably need to replace the %
29 symbol with %25. Try this:
30
31 http://[fe80::02c0:4eff:fe07:0005%25eth1]:80/
32