From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 22:40:07
1 On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 6:13 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > But I'm not talking about it for users like you and I.
4 > I've said over and over in this thread about regular users and you seem
5 > to be missing that part; it's the entirety of everything I'm saying
6 > here. I didn't say LVM shouldn't be available, I said that installers
7 > shouldn't put it up front and centre in the user's face claiming that
8 > it's awesome.
9 >
10 > Your average user has no idea what volume management even is and are
11 > completely lost when it comes up. They just have no mental image of what
12 > it even could be and a tool that is not understood and not used is not
13 > worth installing.
16 And yet most Ubuntu users who have no idea what volume management are
17 running just fine with it all the same, and at some point if they ever
18 need to move things around it will make life that much easier for
19 them.
20
21 The fact that they've had no issues running this as their default
22 configuration demonstrates that it isn't unsuitable for "regular
23 users." I'm well aware of the argument you're making. I simply
24 disagree with it, as apparently do the maintainers of Ubuntu and the
25 businessmen making money off of it. Decisions on a
26 commercially-backed distro generally don't come down to the whim of
27 one person, at least not if they actually cause problems.
28
29 As far as symlinks go - they're a royal pain in the rear as they force
30 you to micromanage what ends up on which disk, and then when your
31 convoluted rat's nest of symlinks starts to become a problem it
32 becomes that much harder to fix it. Symlinks and mountpoints used to
33 be the only tool in the toolbox, and to this day half of your OS is in
34 /usr and half isn't as a result. :)
35
36 Volume management is a best practice, and it is right for Ubuntu to
37 make it a default for those who don't understand the pros and
38 virtually non-existant cons.
41 Rich