From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird "df" output
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:27:34
1 On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 12:13:29AM +0100, lee wrote
2 > waltdnes@××××××××.org writes:
3 >
4 > > On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:57:20AM +0100, lee wrote
5 > >
6 > >> He said that he "has a primary partition 1, which covers the entire
7 > >> hard drive" and "a small / partition". That made me think that he
8 > >> has two disks.
9 > >
10 > > Primary partitions are numbered 1 through 4 and logical partitions are
11 > > numbered 5 and up. The "primary partition" is the entire physical disk.
12 >
13 > Hm, I don't consider extended partitions as primary ones but as extended
14 > ones. When I need more than four partitions, I create three primary
15 > ones, an extended one and logical ones within the extended one. Why
16 > would I do that any other way?
17 >
18 > You cannot have a primary partition that covers the entire disk and then
19 > some.
20
21 OK, Primary and/or Extended partitions are numbered 1-to-4. Logical
22 partitions within extended partitions are numbered 5 and up.
25 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
26 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications