From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bash Config files
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:22:28
1 quoth the gentuxx:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > This is sort of a n00bie question, but something I haven't really had
5 > to mess around with. I recently did an `emerge world` and after the
6 > update and a reboot, my root prompt has changed back to the gentoo
7 > default. It now seems that the /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile are
8 > overriding my root's .bashrc and .profile. In addition to the root
9 > prompt being changed, it seems that the PATH environment variable
10 > isn't complete. _Some_ utilities that are part of the gentoolkit (but
11 > not all) aren't found in the path (qpkg, equery, etc.). So what do I
12 > need to do to set things right, so my local setting override the
13 > global? Or is there a reason for this, and I should just modify the
14 > global, since it has if/else's for root?
15 >
16 > TIA
17
18 I have found the best way to deal with this is to add this snippet to the end
19 of /etc/profile:
20
21 if [ -e ~/.bashrc]; then
22 . ~/.bashrc
23 fi
24
25 The problem is that you need to add it again when you upgrade baselayout...
26
27 > gentux
28 > echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'
29 >
30 > gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40 9795 2D81 924A
31 > 6996 0993
32
33 -d
34 --
35 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
36 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
37 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972