From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] One machine sends "emerge" text output to stderr, not stdout
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 05:32:34
1 On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:25:18AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote
2
3 > But harmless. The severe delays you noticed were the result of a
4 > broken modem/router failing to recognise that IPv6 was not available
5 > and trying to use it anyway. The usual fix for such a problem is a
6 > firmware update.
7
8 It's more complex than that. How is the IPV6-enabled browser or media
9 player supposed to know that my modem doesn't support IPV6 and neither
10 does my ISP and neither do umpteen hops between me and the site I'm
11 trying to connect to? See http://www.ipjforum.org/?p=378
12
13 > The technology in web browsers and operating systems involves doing
14 > Domain Name System (DNS) queries for AAAA and A resource records and
15 > then attempting to connect to the resulting IPv6 and IPv4 addresses
16 > sequentially. If the IPv6 path is broken (or slow), this connection
17 > can take a long time before it falls back to trying IPv4. This process
18 > is especially painful on typical websites that retrieve objects
19 > from different hosts-each failure incurs a delay. The combination of
20 > operating system and web browser results in delays from 20 seconds to
21 > several minutes if the IPv6 path is broken[2]. The typical message
22 > flow of a TCP client is shown in Figure 1. Clearly, this delay is
23 > unacceptable to users. Users avoid this delay by disabling IPv6[3]
24 > or avoiding IPv6-enabled websites.
25
26 The decision to enable IPV6 by default was a mistake. The only
27 beneficial side effect was that it taught me not to do robo-updates
28 any more <G>.
31 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>