From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo testing and ssd
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:19:28
1 Am 2012-07-13 20:53, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
2 > On Fri, Jul 13 2012, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am 2012-07-13 19:42, schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
5 >>> I will be getting a new laptop with ssd (250GB).
6 >>>
7 >>> I currently run ~amd64 and wonder if this is too much writing for the
8 >>> flash.
9 >>>
10 >>> I have adapted to and now enjoy gnome3. If I were forced to run stable
11 >>> to limit compiles I would still use package.accept_keywords to permit
12 >>> gnome3.
13 >>>
14 >>> Any experiences with testing and ssd?
15 >>
16 >> No problems with ~amd64 and gnome3 on SSD in my ThinkPad, for maybe 2yrs
17 >> already.
18 >
19 > Thank you. That is just want I wanted to know.
20
21 Be sure to check for the latest firmware for the SSD and flash it before
22 even using it. Also check for any well known issues with the particular
23 SSD. And a decent backup strategy is never a bad thing ;-)
24
25 With that flaky ssd I had scripts to quickly rsync the partitions to
26 hdd-based storage so I could rather quickly switch back and boot from
27 there. That ssd worked and looked OK for weeks and then *ZIP* changed
28 its mind and its size to 0 bytes ... that wasn't too funny.
29
30 The ssd in my thinkpad is completely robust and problemfree.
31
32 S