From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MAC whitelisting and UDP traffic.
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 06:13:22
1 On Tue, Jul 12, 2022 at 7:35 AM Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Ok, I asked a while ago about whitelisting MAC ranges for firewall rules,
5 > and just so you know, adding 16 million potential MAC addresses to the
6 > firewall… Doesn’t work well… No matter how you do it. So I had to write
7 > a daemon to monitor which ones were local and add just those. Whatever.
11 > That brings me to the next problem. The routing and NAT work just fine if
12 > I’m letting everything through. But if I’m dropping connections that don’t
13 > come from authorized devices then UDP only works in the outbound
14 > direction… TCP is fine.
18 > For reference, the rules consist of:
22 > iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o <OUTSIDE> -j MASQUERADE
23 >
24 > iptables -A FORWARD -i <OUTSIDE> -o <INSIDE> -m state --state
25 > RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
29 > And then the daemon adds a:
30 >
31 > iptables -A FORWARD -i <INSIDE> -o <OUTSIDE> -m mac --mac-source <MAC
32 > ADDRESS> -j ACCEPT
36 > for each authorized device.
40 > TCP works perfectly.
41 >
42 > UDP based protocols send out just fine, but any replies get blocked if the
43 > FORWARD chain’s default policy is DROP.
47 > Now… Everything I’m reading says that it’s supposed to be able to
48 > associate UDP replies based on port number, which indeed it must be doing
49 > in order for them to get translated correctly and directed to the correct
50 > device inside the NAT when the default policy is ACCEPT.
54 > So why is that rule to accept related packets not triggering for them?
57 I also would have expected the UDP replies to be permitted via -state
58 RELATED,ESTABLISHED.
59
60 Do they at least get into the state table;
61 grep udp /proc/net/nf_conntrack