From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Is EVMS dead?
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:12:37
1 Eric S. Johansson <esj@××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:01:28 -0500, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> If you machine dies and your backups are
7 >>> "inadequate", you may want to try and recover the disc by putting it
8 >>> into another system. How? If you didn't back up a bunch of magic
9 >>> information from the original system's /etc directory, you're well and
10 >>> truly screwed.
11 >>
12 >> Or you could run vgscan, provided everything is not auto-detected before
13 >> you get the chance.
14 >
15 > if I remember correctly, and it has been quite a while, vgscan only works
16 > if
17 > your lvm.conf is intact. Merging one lvm.conf with one from another
18 > machine is tricky and is not always successful unless you are living with
19 > LVM and then it
20 > is only mostly successful. if you don't have your original lvm.conf,
21 > again if memory serves, you need to go rooting through the first
22 > fewsectors of your disk to find what looks like it might be perhaps,
23 > possibly the data you need.
24
25 What the heck are you talking about?
26
27 All that's needed to be done is a vgscan followed by a vgchange. That's
28 it.
29
30 > in looking for examples for this kind of recovery process, I came across a
31 > rather nice page from our friends at Novell.
32
33 "friends"? Novell, that's the enemy!
34
35 Alexander Skwar