From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: emerge latest in a certain version series of a package
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:55:39
1 On 30/01/2014 17:25, James wrote:
2 > As part of the open source community, I would think you have a
3 > repsonsibility to *reward those vendors that work generously with the
4 > greater open source community* ?
7 No, not actually. The only responsibility he has is to do whatever he
8 feels like doing.
9
10 It is nice to favour vendors who work with us but no-one is obligated to
11 do so; trying to so is enforcing your moral code on another. That other
12 is free to entirely reject your moral code at will.
13
14 I get what you are saying but your statement is more accurate if you
15 omit or change the word "responsibility". It does not belong.
18 Alan McKinnon
19 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com