From: Peter O'Connor <vandagar@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:53:53
1 John Dangler wrote:
2
3 >I have just installed a basic 2005.1 system (2.6.12-r6) on my laptop. I'm
4 >trying to get my arms around the USE flags. I found a set of 'default'
5 >settings (I think) under /usr/portage/profiles/base/use.defaults . From
6 >what I've read in the gentoo documentation, this seems to be a list of
7 >default USE= flags. What I'd like to try and get to is, a difference
8 >between what's there and the 'total' list, and why would I add others to my
9 >own make.conf file?
10 >
11 >Thanks, as always, for the input.
12 >
13 >John D
20 I believe it takes the default USE flags from
21 /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/make.defaults (since I am on a x86)
22
23 The way the system works is that it applies those default USE flags
24 unless you say otherwise. The way to alter the default USE flags for
25 your system is to edit your /etc/make.conf and make
26 additions/subtractions from the USE flags. Basically this is a way to
27 customise your system to the way you want it.
28
29 This site shows them all and a brief description
30
31 http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml
32
33 The best way to see what USE flags are currently set is
34 # emerge info
35 as this takes into account the defaults and all the changes you have
36 made through /etc/make.conf
37
38 For instance in the default USE flags has
39
40 USE="alsa apm arts avi berkdb bitmap-fonts crypt cups eds....(many more)"
41
42 If you don't have a printer on your system, there is little point in
43 having cups as a USE flag (it will add unnecessary time to compile your
44 packages). So in your /etc/make.conf file you can put
45
46 USE="-cups"
47
48 Same thing if you don't want to use kde, and say you want to have
49 mozilla support on your system as well you would end up with.
50
51 USE=-cups -kde mozilla"
52
53 Then if you run
54 # emerge info
55 again it will have removed cups and kde from the USE flags and added
56 mozilla to the list as well.
57
58 Hope that helps
59 Peter