From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 19:55:11
1 On 2020-06-15, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I finally bought a 8TB drive.  It is used but they claim only a
5 > short duration.  Still, I want to test it to be sure it is in grade
6 > A shape before putting a lot of data on it and depending on it.  I
7 > am familiar with some tools already.  I know about SMART but it is
8 > not always 100%.  It seems to catch most problems but not all.  I'm
9 > familiar with dd and writing all zeores or random to it to see if it
10 > can in fact write to all the parts of the drive but it is slow.
11
12 It takes a long time to write 8GB no matter what tool you're using.
13
14 > It can take a long time to write and fill up a 8TB drive. Days
15 > maybe?
16
17 I would guess several days
18
19 > I googled and found a new tool but not sure how accurate it is since
20 > I've never used it before.  The command is badblocks.  It is
21 > installed on my system so I'm just curious as to what it will catch
22 > that others won't.  Is it fast or slow like dd?
23
24 backblocks was designed to do what you want. For an 8GB drive, it
25 will probably take most of a week.
26
27 > I plan to run the SMART test anyway.  It'll take several hours but
28 > I'd like to run some other test to catch errors that SMART may
29 > miss.  If there is such a tool that does that.  If you bought a used
30 > drive, what would you run other than the long version of SMART and
31 > its test?
32
33 babblocks would be a good start.
34
35 you could also use stress-ng with the "hdd" options:
36
37 https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-benchmarks/stress-ng
38 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Maffblaster/Drafts/stress-ng
41 Grant