From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] coexisting GCC versions
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:07:46
1 Hello again,
2
3 Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca> writes:
4
5 > I need gcc 4.3 to compile a specific application. I am hoping that I
6 > can install gcc 4.3 alongside 4.1.1 without suffering some awful
7 > catastrophe.
8
9 > Can someone confirm that I'll be able to use gcc 4.3 for the specific
10 > application that needs it but then revert to 4.1.1 without having to
11 > re-compile all or most of my system?
12
13 Thanks to all who replied. My home machine is compiling gcc 4.3 as I
14 write this (it has been running all night).
15
16 The reason I stick with gcc 4.1.1 is that:
17
18 (a) I ran into problems during one of the gcc upgrades a couple of years
19 back and ended up re-installing on a couple of boxes. Most of my
20 machines are old and slow so gcc takes a while.
21
22 (b) I have about a dozen heterogeneous machines that I use as a distcc
23 compile farm and it it is a bit of a pain to upgrade all of them
24 (bearing in mind that distcc can't be used to compile gcc). I suppose I
25 should build gcc on the fastest box and install to the remainder as a
26 binary.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Roger