From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] accidentally deleted the /usr (I'm gonna kill myself!)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:24:34
1 On 25/08/2014 01:57, Jc García wrote:
2 > 2014-08-24 17:27 GMT-06:00 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>:
3 >> Am 24.08.2014 um 21:28 schrieb behrouz khosravi:
4 >>> Hi. I just accidentally removed the /usr folder!
5 >>> And I am sure the /usr/bin and several other folders are gone!
6 >>> Should I go for a complete re-install or there is any other solution?
7 >>> Thanks and I hope that I wont find that blade that I am looking for!
8 >>>
9 >>> .
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> and now you know why you should have added --buildpkg to your default
13 >> emerge options.
14 >>
15 > But without 'PKGDIR' set to any other place not in /usr/, in this case
16 > it's in vain.
19 15 years ago FreeBSD was putting everything related to ports and package
20 management into /usr. Now this just happened to work out fine for
21 FreeBSD especially with a sane rational mount scheme.
22
23 Why drobbins elected to carry on with this for Gentoo Linux is a
24 question completely beyond my ken because it is obviously fraught with
25 problems and very little benefit.
26
27 Portage and binpkgs belong in /var, anyone persisting in putting them in
28 /usr gets to keep all the broken bits when it goes wrong.
32 Alan McKinnon
33 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com