From: Jack Morgan <jack@×××××.io>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel all
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 17:28:07
1 Thelma,
2
3 On 11/25/20 9:11 AM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > On 11/25/2020 08:27 AM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >> On 11/25/2020 08:23 AM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
6 >>> I compiled "genkernel all" instead of looking for the correct entry to
7 >>> boot my M.2 drive.
8 >>>
9 >>> Not I compiled nvidia-drivers and got a message:
10 >>>
11 >>> * Messages for package x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-455.28-r1:
12 >>>
13 >>> * CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU: should not be set. But it is.
14 >>> * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
15 >>> * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
16 >>> * CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU: should not be set. But it is.
17 >>>
18 >>> Genkernel all doesn't have any .config file.
19 >>> How to remove them? Where to get .config for genkernel all?
20 >>>
21 >> found it in /etc/genkernel.conf
22 > That was not it. I copied genkernel.conf to /usr/src/linux/.config but
23 > this configuration file is different.
24 > I was looking for CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU in genkernel.conf I couldn't
25 > find it.
26 genkernel.conf is a configuration file  for genkernel not your kernel
27 configuration. Your mixing two separate things.  You can edit
28 /etc/genkernel.conf and change SAVE_CONFIG="yes" to save your kernel
29 configuration files which is what I do. I same my kernel configuration
30 files in /etc/kernels/ and use the following script...
31
32 $ cat /root/bin/genkernel.sh
33
34 #!/bin/bash -x
35
36 ## build kernel with genkernel
37 genkernel --kernel-config=/etc/kernels/kernel-config-x86_64-$(uname -r) all
38
39 ## update grub.cfg file
40 grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
43 I also have OLDCONFIG="no" and MENUCONFIG="yes" in /etc/genkernel.conf.
44 Once you invest 20 minutes editing your kernel config, you don't want to
45 have to do it again so saving a working kernel config is a good strategy.
48 You will find CONFIG_I2C_NVIDIA_GPU as a kernel config option (make
49 menuconfig for example).
50 > The reason I'm using "genkernel all" as there is some setting missing in
51 > my old .config file that is stop booting my M.2 SSD (are there any
52 > special option in kernel for it?). I'm getting an error:
53 > kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
54 > unknown-block (0, 0)
55 This means you are missing a kernel configuration option (most likely
56 the one for your disk controller). The fact that its an SSD is not
57 useful.. what the SSD is connected to is . Use lspci to find out what
58 hardware you have in your system.