From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: webserver reccomendations
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 22:18:17
1 On Sunday 28 Jun 2015 14:26:06 Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 29/06/15 02:46, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 28 Jun 2015 18:27:57 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 > >>> Why did you stop using lighttpd?
5 > >>
6 > >> I avoided offering much explanation in my previous response because,
7 > >> well ... I would feel uncomfortable doing so without a pint in my
8 > >> hand. :-))
9 > >
10 > > So this is turning into a pub argument about which web server is best? :)
11 > >
12 > >> All these are good servers for particular use cases. My use case for
13 > >> the lighttpd was an embedded system with a 266Mhz SoC and 32MB of RAM.
14 > >> I tried thttpd, lighttpd, apache and nginx on it.
15 > >>
16 > >> - lighttpd was heavier on memory usage, although not as bad as apache.
17 > >>
18 > >> - nginx was light, fast and full of features.
19 > >>
20 > >> - thttpd was very basic but got the job done with relatively low burden
21 > >> on resources. Slower than ligthttpd.
22 > >>
23 > >> - apache just about worked, but brought the little thing to its knees.
24 > >>
25 > >> Don't ask me for benchmarks please, because this was done some years
26 > >> ago. I went with nginx because it was faster and kept the CPU% and
27 > >> MEM% lowest among competitors. The task in hand was to serve some
28 > >> simple web pages with MRTG graphs on them.
29 > >
30 > > Thanks for the explanation, it appears I owe you a pint if you're ever in
31 > > my neck of the woods...
32 >
33 > same here!
34 > I decided to start with lighttpd and it seems to do the job. Will look
35 > at Nginx next.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 > BillK
41 If I were to count the pints I owe you over the years for your kind help, the
42 first round is definitely on me! :-)
45 Regards,
46 Mick