From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge --sync source
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2019 15:37:38
1 Mick wrote:
2 >
3 > I can think of 3 things, but more learned M/L contributors may add to these:
4 >
5 > 1. The SATA connection has come loose. With time and movement it can come
6 > (slightly) adrift. Pushing it back in fully fixes this problem - also see No.
7 > 2 below.
8 >
9 > 2. The physical connector's contacts are beginning to oxidise. Reseat the
10 > SATA cable connectors both on the drive and any ribbons on the MoBo. This
11 > usualy cleans any oxidisation.
15 I recently had to replace a SATA cable because it was causing errors on
16 a drive.  I tried reseating it because that usually works but in that
17 case, it must have been a bad wire somewhere inside the cable.  Maybe at
18 some point it was bent around to much or something and was weak or
19 almost broken.  Once I replaced the cable, the drive started working
20 correctly.
21
22 I mention that to say this.  Just try another cable even if only
23 temporarily if you can.  It's one sure way to know that isn't the
24 problem at least.
25
26 Dale
27