From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CD for testing laptops
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:26:14
1 On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:38 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > hello,
3 >
4 > Well, there are lots of local sales on laptops.
5 > It's been a few years and much has changed (that I'm not up on
6 > with boot CDs). Naturally, I'd like gentoo/kde on a boot
7 > cd, but then there are different images for AMD and intel arches.
8
9 Not AMD and intel arches, just 32-bit and 64-bit instruction sets.
10 "amd64" is what gentoo calls their x86_64, x64, whatever, it will work
11 on any modern intel CPU since the Pentium4. Unless you're looking at
12 ancient laptops amd64 is the one you want.
13
14 Download the amd64 gentoo 10.1 LiveDVD from:
15 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
16
17 Keep in mind that it is running from DVD so responsiveness of loading
18 menus & programs etc will not be the same as if you installed it to
19 HDD but it should at least give you some feeling of whether the
20 hardware is supported "out of the box".