From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why can't use print after installed CUPS ?
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 14:38:56
1 On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 04:17:11PM +0800, 俞强 wrote:
2 > thanks for you reply,
3 >
4 > yes, i compile cups just by hand, and i compared with the files you send,
5 > though you cups version is 1.4.8, but i think the compare result is
6 > also value. most of files are the same as mine, but my libs are installed
7 > in /usr/lib64, not in /usr/lib. btw, my hadrware is ARMv7(omap3730).
8
9 Most likely than not that is because your programs are
10 not compiled with printing support?
11
12 ~ $ euse -i cups
13 global use flags (searching: cups)
14 ************************************************************
15 [+ CD ] cups - Add support for CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)
16 cups - Add support for CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)
17
18 ~ $ equery hasuse cups
19 * Searching for USE flag cups ...
20 [IP-] [ ] app-text/epdfview-0.1.8:0
21 [IP-] [ ] app-text/ghostscript-gpl-9.04-r4:0
22 [IP-] [ ] gnome-base/libgnomeprint-2.18.8:2.2
23 [IP-] [ ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.8-r1:2
24 [IP-] [ ] x11-libs/gtk+-3.2.2-r1:3
25 [I-O] [ ] x11-libs/qt-gui-4.7.4:4
26
27 Judging by the fact that you installed cups by hand and portage didn't
28 want to install its own version of cups, I'd say more likely than not
29 you have the cups flag disabled.
30
31 What you can try to do (if you don't want to use the in portage cups
32 ebuild) is to
33
34 (a) enable the cups flag
35 (b) edit the /etc/portage/profile/package.provided file to include
36 cups.
37 (See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5 )
38
39 This may or may not work, but is worth a try if you insist on not
40 using the standard ebuild.
41
42 W
43 --
44 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
45 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
46 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton