From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU "choking" under high load
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:43:37
1 Daniel Quinn wrote:
2 > I don't know if this is a hardware issue or not, but I thought that maybe I'd
3 > configured my kernel incorrectly and that this might be a known issue someone
4 > here has run across in the past so here goes:
5 >
6 > My computer is a pretty impressive AMD 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ box
7 > with 2GB of RAM and for the most part, I just use it to write code at work.
8 > However, whenever I'm doing something CPU-intensive, two things happen:
9 >
10 > * The load on the box goes up to 4
11 > * The box intermittently wobbles from running at full-speed and dropping to
12 > a crawl. This is best seen while watching Flash videos online,
13 > compressing/encoding video, or compiling. Everything is fine for a few
14 > minutes, then suddenly the rate of compiling/compression/playback etc.
15 > drops to a crawl for about 1-3minutes, then back up to full speed.
16 >
17 > I don't know why it's happening. I've tried various kernel options with no
18 > change in behaviour. Outside of that though, I don't know what to try.
19 > Suggestions welcome :-(
23 Shot in the dark here. Could it be that something is getting hot, or
24 thinks it is getting hot, and slows down processing in a effort to cool
25 things down a bit? I don't know if this is just laptops but I think
26 there is a option in the kernel to do this. I don't use it but it may
27 be worth checking into. Maybe it was turned on by default.
28
29 Dale
30