From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 19:53:47
1 On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi Gentoo-users,
3 > I always thought the right way to update everything was:
4 >
5 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
6 > emerge --update --deep --newuse system
7 >
8 > When I try the above mentioned, nothing to update is found.
9 > Yet when I try i.e. "emerge --pretend nasm", I see:
10 >
11 > [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.10.05 [2.10.01]
12 >
13 > So there is apparently update for dev-lang/nasm, yet it was
14 > not pulled when I tried to update the "world" or "system".
15 > And who knows for how many other ebuilds there is update
16 > available...
17 >
18 > So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
19
20 Well, terminology issue first.
21
22 An 'ebuild' is a file describing how the system handles a specific
23 version of a particular package. So what you probably want to do is
24 update every *package*.
25
26 And in answer...you've got it right. (Though I would use @world and/or
27 @system, rather than leaving off the @)
28
29 Why nasm isn't getting updated might have something to do with your
30 packages.mask file.
33 :wq