From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Some possibly (?) helpful hints re the big gnome-3.8 update
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 05:14:38
1 On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 7:56 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > I am a gnome-3 user, who wants to continue with gnome-3. I understand
3 > now that to move to 3.8 requires I move from openRC to systemd and am
4 > trying to accomplish that now. I have so far only done the easy first
5 > steps.
6 >
7 > 0. I always back up my user files and /etc daily
8 >
9 > 1. I confirmed that my system still boots off my installation CD
10 > (just in case).
11 >
12 > 2. I added enough entries to /etc/portage/package.mask to prevent
13 > systemd being required (list at the end if others are interested).
14 >
15 > 3. Performed the kernel prerequisites from the wiki (most of which
16 > were already enabled).
17 >
18 > 4. My /run directory was already present and populated.
19
20 Sounds reasonable.
21
22 > Now I hit my first question
23 >
24 > The wiki says that "upstream suggests that the /etc/mtab file should
25 > be a simlink to /proc/self/mounts." It then points out problems with
26 > and without the symlink.
27 >
28 > My current system has both files but with slightly different contents,
29 > specifically the entries for my filesystems, root (includes /usr) and several
30 > lvm2 lvs, say "commit=0 0 2" in /etc/mtab but say "data=ordered 0 0"
31 > in /proc/self/mounts
32 >
33 > Do you advising leaving it alone or executing
34 > ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab
35
36 AFAIU, systemd will print the following warning if /etc/mtab is not a
37 symlink to /proc/self/mounts:
38
39 "/etc/mtab is not a symlink or not pointing to /proc/self/mounts. This
40 is not supported anymore. Please make sure to replace this file by a
41 symlink to avoid incorrect or misleading mount(8) output."
42
43 Also, upstream will reject flatly any support for systems where this
44 happens. Lastly, if I understand correctly, /proc/self/mounts is how
45 the mounts are really mounted, so if they differ, /proc/self/mounts
46 contains the correct information.
47
48 If you switch to systemd, you will need to make /etc/mtab a symlink to
49 /proc/self/mounts.
50
51 > After that comes the big one
52 >
53 > emerge systemd
54 > USE="... systemd ..."
55 > emerge --change-use
56 > /etc/init.d/udev restart
57 >
58 > Can the system be rebooted at this point (I realize init will still not
59 > use systemd) or must the entire conversion (including changing init) be
60 > completed before the system is bootable? I am hoping it is the former.
61
62 If you install systemd, sys-fs/udev will be uninstalled first (they
63 block each other). At this point, /etc/init.d/udev doesn't exists
64 anymore in your system. If you reboot, I don't believe there is any
65 chance your system will boot up correctly.
66
67 /etc/init.d/udev is installed by sys-fs/udev; sys-apps/systemd doesn't
68 provide anything similar. I recommend installing everything necessary
69 (and uninstalling everything that is not) before trying the reboot.
70
71 Also, instead of emerge --changed-use (not --change-use, BTW), try:
72
73 emerge --update --deep --newuse --verbose
74
75 Or its shorter equivalent, emerge -uDNv world. --deep will force a
76 check on the entire dependency tree, --newuse will trigger
77 reinstallation for flags you didn't set. I think, in this case at
78 least, it's better to cover as many possible packages affected by the
79 switch. Although I update my systems always with --deep and --newuse.
80
81 Also, I would do the whole shebang in a one step, removing all the
82 masked packages you did. You can try to boot to multi-user.target
83 instead of graphical.target, if you want to test that systemd works
84 correctly independently of GNOME.
85
86 Regards.
87 --