From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Moving installation to another HD
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:18:23
1 Hello list,
2
3 I've had Gentoo running for a long time now, before that I was using
4 WinXP (this is my work machine, I have no choice). I simply got an old
5 (8GB) HD, setup it, installed and started working (with dual boot,
6 just in case). After a while, I found myself not using winxp anymore,
7 as most of my stuff was already ported (printers, file shares) or
8 emulated (novell using qemu and full virtualization). Now, I'm running
9 out of space in this old HD, and want to move my Gentoo install over
10 to the 40GB original disk of this machine.
11
12 I thought about "dd" the entire old disk to the new one, but I guess
13 partitioning will not like that (because of the size, and I have been
14 using fixed primary partitions), maybe tar or something like that.
15 Anyway, if anyone have suggestions on the procedure needed to do that,
16 it would be more than welcome. Any info needed, please let me know.
17
18 Thanks in advance.
21 Daniel da Veiga
22 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil