From: gerrit <gerrit@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modest mail server for home network
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:47:14
1 On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:03:32AM -0800, Robert Persson wrote:
2 > I want to set up a very modest home mail server that will collect emails from
3 > other pop3 servers and make them available to 2 or 3 users using 1 or more
4 > different clients on 2 or 3 computers. I have become very confused by the
5 > various howtos. Even the gentoo ones, which on other subjects are usually
6 > very good, in this case assume an awful lot of arcane knowledge and also say
7 > preposterous things, such as that xyz server is easy to set up when it quite
8 > plainly isn't.
9 >
10 > I have spent way to much time trying to get courier running only to find that
11 > (a) it doesn't work and (b) it doesn't seem to be able to fetch mail from an
12 > external server. I then installed fetchmail, but can't find any howtos on
13 > installing it as a service, or any clear explanation of how it plays
14 > alongside courier or any other imap server.
15 >
16 > The absolute #1 consideration is that the system must be easy to set up and
17 > easy to move to another machine when the time comes.
18 >
19 > smtp is not important at the moment because the isp smtp service usually
20 > works.
21
22 You should consider using getmail with cron instead of fetchmail. It writes
23 directly to maildir folders so you could probably do without a smtp server. To
24 make those maildirs available over pop3 and imap you could use the fairly
25 lightweight dovecot imap server.
28 gerrit
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list