From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My Gentoo is too secure ... ;)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:52:06
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 17:08, Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote about
2 'Re: [gentoo-user] My Gentoo is too secure ... ;)':
3 > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 23:16:54 +0100
4 > Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
5 > > Not necessarily: if you use kde, konsole has a "root shell" feature.
6 >
7 > Which I suspect only works if you can use su, although i am not 100% on
8 > that.
9
10 While KDE may do some autodetection re: this, my "Root
11 Shell" (uncustomized) from Konsole runs 'su -'; which will be a problem if
12 you want to use sudo instead. (Or can't su for some reason.)
13
14 If you do, you can edit the existing session or create a new session to run
15 'sudo -s'. I use this nice feature to have a session that runs "su - -c
16 'screen -x -R -s /bin/bash'" (and a similar one for non-root).
17
18 I don't know show well (if at all) screen runs under sudo, but the
19 equivalent should be something along the lines of 'sudo screen -x -R
20 -s /bin/bash'
21
22 Hrm, after writing this I realize I'm not in the "sudo" thread anymore.
23 *shrug* Maybe this is useful information to someone.
26 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
27 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
28 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
29 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list