From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 19:10:25
1 On 17/12/2022 16:09, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hummm...I don't know Dale, I don't know... ZFS is a file system.
3 > LVM is an abstraction on top (or underneath?) of a file system.
4 > My understanding of LVM is that it frees you from hard decisions
5 > on partition sizes, not that it replaces ZFS or ext3/4/5.
6
7 Do one thing and do it well. That's LVM. Or ext.
8
9 Jack of all trades. That's ZFS.
10
11 Do you want the filesystem doing everything from the hard drive up? Use ZFS.
12
13 Do you want the system layered, with each layer doing one job? Use
14 dm-integrity to protect against corruption, raid to join the disks, lvm
15 to partition them, and ext to manage the directories and files.
16
17 I do the latter ...
18
19 Cheers,