From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommended filesystem for an SSD drive and what mount setting to be used?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 11:28:35
1 Hello, Meino.
2
3 On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 06:34:58 +0100, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > Hi,
5
6 > hopefully in the next daus my first SSD drive will arrive
7 > (corona makes everything more difficult...).
8
9 Yes. I bought myself a backup Fritzbox (a router) on the last day
10 before the shops were closed here. If the one in service were to die,
11 I'd be left unable to work from home, and with no wired telephone.
12
13 > To prevent an "installed and works"-experience which ends
14 > a month later in a damaged or over-weared SSD with a drastically
15 > shortened lifetime, I want to ask here for own experiences:
16
17 > - What is the best filesustem to be used with a SSD, which
18 > will used for /root when it comes to prolong life of that
19 > SSD ?
20
21 > - What options are recommended for the according mount command?
22
23 > Thanks a lot for any helpful advice in advance!
24
25 My experience suggests not to worry too much about these things. On my
26 three year old box I've got no HDDs, just two Samsung 500 GB NVMe M2
27 SDDs (one mounted on the motherboard, the other on a PCI plug in board).
28 Their partitions are set up in SW RAID-1 (apart from /boot). I just use
29 ext4.
30
31 I've had no trouble in almost three years with these SSDs. All my
32 emergeing is done on a tmpfs (in RAM), for which I've got 16 GB RAM.
33 I've got swap partitions (non-RAID ;-) on the SSDs, but with 16 GB RAM I
34 suspect they don't get used much.
35
36 And, yes, I do regular backups. Not that I've ever needed them, but if
37 I stopped, I soon would. ;-)
38
39 > Cheers!
40 > Meino