From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:20:45
1 On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 08:06:47 -0800
2 kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Grant wrote:
5 > >> I don't know about large setups, where it might be very possible
6 > >> that port knocking becomes a major PITA as you say. But I have
7 > >> setup and used port knocking for remote ssh access lots of time in
8 > >> the past, and never had a problem. This is just my little
9 > >> experience, of course.
10 > >
11 > > OK, port knocking is going back on the todo list.
12 >
13 > I don't free as strongly as Alan, but I've never been overly
14 > impressed with the idea of port knocking. Mostly because any
15 > monitoring of services would be a total nightmare. And
16 > troubleshooting it would suck. Is the service down? Is it the knock?
17 > and so on.
18 >
19 > What I do like is openvpn. Script kiddies don't look for it
20 > and I prefer to have full access to my home boxes rather than having
21 > to mess with port forwarding. As far as complexity goes its easy to
22 > setup in an afternoon and there are clients for Windows, OSX, Linux,
23 > BSD, etc.
24 > kashani
25
26 Another openVPN vote from me. Makes deployment across geographically
27 distinct network much easier, and good security too.
28 --
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list