From: joschi <bausparkasse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2005.1 Universal CD install
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 03:22:08
1 Am Mittwoch, den 28.09.2005, 14:46 +0530 schrieb vikram ranade:
2 > Hello all,
3
4 hi!
5
6 > I am very new to gentoo (used to use Red Hat earlier)
7 > I have installed gentoo using the networkless install with the 2005.1
8 > universal CD.
9 > I have got the system booting perfectly and detecting all the hardware
10 > as well.
11 > I got the network connection working and now I am running
12 > #emerge --update --deep world
13 > to get the latest version of the system.
14 >
15 > My question is ..
16 > Is X already installed? (the system boots to a text login)
17
18 probably not.
19
20 > how do i start X?
21
22 log into the console and type "startx".
23
24 > How do I install new software ? (gnome and so on)
25
26 if X is not installed, type "emerge xorg-x11".
27 for gnome the same, "emerge gnome".
28 theres are some cool gtk-frontends out to emerge, my favorite
29 is "portage" ;).
30 >
31 check out http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/index.xml
32 and http://gentoo-wiki.com/Main_Page and, for sure, the emerge-manpage
33 and the mailing-list archive for help on installing software and
34 managing gentoo.
35
36 > Thanks!
37 > Best regards,