From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Completely and totally OT] FVWM-Crystal...!!!
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:10:09
1 On 9/29/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 9/29/05, Dave Nebinger <dnebinger@××××.com> wrote:
3 > > > Were I you, I would consider:
4 > > >
5 > > > - If keeping X, switching to the absolute most minimal wm possible
6 > > > (twm, ratpoison, ion), to see what effect that had.
7 > > > - If downstepping from X, investigating what programs run under
8 > > > DirectFB and seeing what effect that had.
9 > > > - If going cold-turkey off X, seeing how far you get with the
10 > > > command-line and ncurses programs.
11 > >
12 > > I would also add the following: remoting X. X is a hog, as Holly said, but
13 > > there's no reason the X server would need to run on the same box as the
14 > > ongoing recording session.
15 > >
16 > > Running two systems, one running X and handling the gui operations, and one
17 > > running your audio apps, might provide enough of the separation to reduce
18 > > the latency on the audio box. Of course the two cards should probably be
19 > > connected with at least a 100mb Ethernet connection (to eliminate the
20 > > overhead of dealing with the network conversations for X).
21 >
22 > This is an interesting idea actually. I currently run two boxes
23 > anyway. All audio is connected between them using ADAT optical (i.e. -
24 > red laser) or spdif so I've got 26 digital audio channels going
25 > across. Maybe running remotely could solve some of this. Thanks.
26
27 Well, interesting, but not the solution. I'm logged into Lightning,
28 the AMD64 machine, remotely in two terminals. One terminal is running
29 QJackCtl, a small X app that allows me to start and stop the Jack
30 server, along with make connections, etc.
31
32 In a second terminal I log in as root and start an emerge of a couple
33 of things that don't get built - a new kernel tree and firefox-bin. I
34 don't immediately get xruns, but when heavy disk operations start I
35 do. Some of the xruns are over 100mS - absolutely huge when you're
36 trying to run at 3mS!
37
38 What's interesting to me is that I Can stream a movie from the EIDE
39 DVD drive on this machine and never create an xrun, but as soon as I
40 start using the SATA drive I do. That seems to be a pretty good clue I
41 think.
42
43 It's a good idea though. I'll keep looking into it.
44
45 Cheers,
46 Mark
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list