From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 4 GB and Intel Core 2 Duo
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 19:06:55
1 On Donnerstag, 3. Juli 2008, Pawel K wrote:
2 > Hello
3 >
4 > I have 4 GB of ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo E4500.
5 > I compiled the kernel as follows:
6 > Processor family
7 >   Core 2/newer Xeon
8 >
9 > Subarchitecture Type
10 >   PC-compatible
11 >
12 > High Memory Support
13 >   Off
14 >
15 > All my remaining packages are compiled as 32 bit binaries.
16
17 you installed a 32bit kernel?
20 > The last switch causes my system to see less than 1 GB of memory:
21 > cat /proc/meminfo:
22 > MemTotal:       901816 kB
23 >
24 > AFAIK kernel does not need High Memory Support in case of 64 bit CPUs.
25 >
26 > What's wrong with my kernel config ?
27 > Maybe it does not run as a 64 bit CPU ?
28
29 it does. But it needs a 64bit kernel. And to have one you need a 64bit gcc and
30 binutils and glibc and ....
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list