From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] per package parallel build
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 07:49:14
1 On Friday, 25 October 2019 06:31:03 BST Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2 > 8-core CPU:
3 >
4 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build --keep-going --jobs 9 --load-average 9"
5 >
6 > MAKEOPTS="-j9 -l9"
7 >
8 > Works fine except when both Firefox and Thunderbird need update, in that
9 > case emerge typically tries to build them in parallel and one gets OOM
10 > killed due to insufficient swap space (1G swap, 16G RAM). I will increase
11 > the swap but I'd like to know: Is there a way to tell emerge to normally
12 > run 9 parallel jobs but limit to 1 when it is building one of the two
13 > monsters?
14
15 Apart from increasing the swap space, I think the only way to avoid this
16 condition is to spot it in advance and not allow portage to work on them both
17 at the same time: either --exclude one of them or specify it.
20 Regards,
21 Peter.