From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Assigning an IP in AP mode
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 03:57:01
1 >> I have net.wlan0 started by init, not by hostapd, not sure if that
2 >> makes a difference.
3 >
4 > You start net.wlan0 in master mode with /etc/init.d/net.wlan0?  If so,
5 > do you have a PSK?
6
7 No - master mode comes with hostapd. It just gets started.
8
9 > hostapd doesn't report any error and I don't think it should.
10 > Everything works fine as soon as I 'ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1' but I
11 > know there's a way to assign that IP automatically, I've just
12 > forgotten what it is.  My description above is the trouble I run into
13 > when I try to set up that automatic IP assignment.  As long as I issue
14 > ifconfig manually, everything works fine.
15
16 Just let net.wlan0 bring the interface up and configure the IP for you.