From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CLI DVD copy?
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 04:04:20
1 On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2011-11-30, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I was considering making a copy of this DVD to keep for bug testing
6 >> in the future. I'm wondering how to make a copy of a DVD movie at the
7 >> command line? All the things I'm finding in Google point to dvd::rip
8 >> or other GUI apps. I tried a simple dd copy, ala
9 >>
10 >> dd if=/dev/dvd of=Movie.iso
11 >>
12 >> but that fails also.
13 >
14 > That will only work with unencrypted DVDs.
15 >
16 > I use dvdbackup, and it hasn't failed me yet.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Grant
20
21 Thanks to all three of you for your answers. Seeing them I remember
22 Neil suggesting vobcopy when I was first looking into ripping DVDs to
23 play on my Kindle.
24
25 I need to study all the suggestions. If it wasn't clear, being that
26 this problem with handbrake crashing occurs when it attempts to rip a
27 physical CD I'll also want to determine how to recreate a new physical
28 CD that causes the same problem so that I can evaluate fixes to
29 handbrake whenever they come along.
30
31 Again, thanks for your inputs.
32