From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2017 21:40:04
1 On 04/11/17 21:23, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> [...] The only problem I have with systemd is that it's unable to
4 >> reliably restore the ALSA mixer volumes/settings on startup. It fails 50% of
5 >> the time. Which is very annoying, but not the end of the world.
6 >
7 > Out of curiosity - are you using alsa-state or alsa-restore?
8 > Apparently alsa provides two different ways of preserving state. You
9 > might consider switching them (which is triggered by the existence of
10 > /etc/alsa/state-daemon.conf - but it might have some other
11 > requirements which I didn't bother to check on).
12
13 alsa-restore. It claims to do exactly what I want, run:
14
15 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
16
17 at startup.
20 > With any save/restore tool like these I always keep a copy of the
21 > state somewhere where it doesn't get overwritten at shutdown if I have
22 > a complex configuration.
23 Well, the thing is that the state is not getting overwritten. When
24 during boot systemd fails to restore the volumes, the state is still
25 fine and I can manually run:
26
27 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
28
29 and restore the volumes. This sounds like some sort of race condition
30 where something else is calling "alsactl init", so sometimes "restore"
31 happens after "init", which results in my volumes getting restores, and
32 sometimes "init" happens after "restore", which gives me default volume
33 levels.