From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Machine completely broken; Ncursed!
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 17:23:28
1 On Saturday 11 Apr 2015 15:34:10 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 10:22:09 -0400, Alan Grimes wrote:
3 > > And then portage did two things.
4 > >
5 > > 1. It masked emul-linux -- A move that I support, it's time to see that
6 > > go.
7 > >
8 > > 2. It sent out a profile that sets variable ABI_x86 with 32 bit enabled.
9 > > ALARM: ABI_x86 should be set in exactly one place:
10 > > /etc/portage/make.conf and nowhere else. But, nevertheless, ABI_x86 WAS
11 > > set which broke the profile because my system cannot compile 32 bit
12 > > executables.
13 >
14 > That seems odd, I use several 64 bit profiles here and all of them have
15 > ABI_X86="64"
16
17 Same here, but I do not have it explicitly specified it in make.conf.
20 > > Right now my system is completely unusable and will need fresh stage3
21 > > packages followed by an emerge emptytree to recover. But before I can do
22 > > that, I need a sane profile
23 >
24 > Can't you just set ABI_X86="64 -32" in make.conf?
25
26 Is it even needed at all?
27
28 If there are packages that require 32bit libs portage will ask for it, yes?
31 > > and to know that the person who pushed out
32 > > the changes to portage, obviously without any testing whatsoever, that
33 > > broke my system so comprehensively is tortured, executed, butchered, and
34 > > then cremated.
35 >
36 > That's quite lenient, you could have left the execution until
37 > last :)
38
39 Cremation will not leave a long lasting impression in dev circles, but first I
40 suggest that you check the problem is not caused by something entirely
41 different to the change in emul-linux.
44 Regards,
45 Mick