From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 08:38:27
1 On 25/06/2015 06:25, Jc García wrote:
2 > 2015-06-24 6:23 GMT-06:00 behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com>:
3 >>
4 >>> Here's some good advice:
5 >>>
6 >>> Don't do that. See below.
9 >> Oops! I have done it and I am happy so far !
10 >>
11 >>> That's a bit of a nonsensical line of thought, as what you think you
12 >>> want doesn't really exist.
15 >> I think you misunderstood me! for example adding CPU specific flags is a
16 >> good idea right?
17 >> I meant something like that. For example is it wise to enable opengl flag
18 >> globally ? is it helpful to do so?
19 >>
20 >>>
21 >>>> What do you recommend ?
22 >>>
23 >>> DO NOT SET "USE=-*"
26 >> As I said before I have done it and I totally recommend it to anyone
27 >> interested to get a better understanding of user land.
28 >>
29 > I don't see the point of using USE="-*" for learning, if you want to
30 > really learn, create and overlay and make your own profile, read the
31 > developer documentation about it, and do a proper thing, not some
32 > clunky mess in /etc/portage.
33 > You could very well evaluate the basic profile, and part from there or
34 > modify it as you see fit, but making a mess that you wont be able to
35 > port easily in case you actually make something you might want to keep
36 > and reproduce somewhere else, is not getting a better understanding.
40 Best way I ever found to learn how things really work under the hood is
41 to build a Linux From Scratch and pay close attention to every single step.
42
43 Not that you'd ever actually *use* that system - there's no sane package
44 management for a start - but after building an LFS, the content of
45 ebuilds in @system starts to make a lot more sense; you can see why some
46 of the decisions in the profiles were made; and make.conf now appears in
47 a whole new light.
48
49 Then take the valuable lessons from LFS and apply them appropriately to
50 using Gentoo. These things are tools and the best workmen are always
51 very familiar with their tools as a co-ordinated whole (as opposed to a
52 bunch of mish-mash stuff cluttering up a toolbox)
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com