From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SD memory card not erasing, even with dd.
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:14:44
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 10:14 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>> <SNIP>
5 >>>> So while rare, it's not just me. ;-) I've had cards fail by just plain
6 >>>> refusing not to mount at all, mounting read only and such. I've never
7 >>>> had one to fail like this tho. I guess if this was some sort of
8 >>>> sensitive files, I'd have to put it in a shredder or take a pair of
9 >>>> scissors to it. LOL
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I ordered 6 new cards as replacements. They came in yesterday. Like I
12 >>>> said, I wouldn't trust that card even if it started working again. So,
13 >>>> off to the trash the weird card goes. Now I just have to wonder why dd
14 >>>> and such didn't report problems. :/
15 >>>>
16 >>>> Thanks to all for the info. Interesting.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Dale
19 >>>>
20 >>>> :-) :-)
21 >>>>
22 >>> Actually, it's possible that it failed this way by design. What if the
23 >>> card recognized that it's in some sort of a wear out condition and
24 >>> just shut off new writes? One might see it as a failure but a
25 >>> different view is as a potential opportunity to retrieve data before
26 >>> it's gone.
27 >>>
28 >>> You might want to check out this tool:
29 >>>
30 >>> https://github.com/BertoldVdb/sdtool
31 >>>
32 >>> which advertises that it can view, set and reset the write protection
33 >>> status of an SD card. Can't hurt if you're committed to throwing the
34 >>> device in the trash can anyway. (Well, it could possibly hose your
35 >>> system if you use it incorrectly or if it has bugs, but that's true
36 >>> about all software, right?) ;-)
37 >>>
38 >>> But at least you could view the status of the card.
39 >>>
40 >>> Cheers,
41 >>> Mark
42 >>>
43 >>>
44 >>
45 >> I downloaded sdtool but I don't have the required devices in /dev to use
46 >> it. In the readme it says not to use /dev/sd* but to use /dev/mmcblk*.
47 >> It seems my card reader doesn't connect in a way for those to be
48 >> created. Would have been nice just to see what it does tho. I still
49 >> wouldn't trust it of course but being curious . . . .
50 >>
51 >> By the way, the card is a Sandisk which has a fairly good reputation.
52 >> It is possible that it failed in the best way it could. On the positive
53 >> side, it did fail in a way that the files could be recovered. That's
54 >> always a good thing. It's certainly better than failing with no way to
55 >> get the files.
56 >>
57 >> Dale
58 > OK, sorry it's not easy. I suppose now that you are using some sort of
59 > USB bridge for reading your SD cards? That probably makes it show up
60 > as a standard /dev/sd device like other USB drives.
61 >
62 > I may be wrong, and it might not help you, but I think /dev/mmc is
63 > enabled through the MMC_BLOCK option in the kernel, but even if you
64 > enable that it may not change things if you have a USB bridge in the
65 > way.
66 >
67 > On Windows there are some partition editors that show the state of
68 > these bits. I haven't looked for a standard Linux partition editor
69 > that does that but it's probably out there somewhere if you go
70 > hunting.
71 >
72 > If you own a DSLR that supports whatever size SD card you are using
73 > then it probably has a way to write protect cards while in the camera.
74 > However if it's just a web cam that you're using it probably doesn't
75 > but check the documentation.
76 >
77 > Good luck,
78 > Mark
83 Those deer trail cameras are somewhat cheap, ish.  Some of them don't
84 even have a format option.  I have a old camera that the IR sensor
85 doesn't work on, it never knows something is there to take pictures of
86 so it does nothing.  Anyway, I use it to format cards with since most
87 all trail cameras use the same format type and directory tree.  One
88 partition and vfat.  Basically, it is really simple and not a lot of
89 options.
90
91 I use a card reader that hooks up via USB.  It's one of those multi
92 reader thingys.  It's been a pretty good one but it isn't a real
93 expensive one either.  Given I got the data off and plan to trash it
94 anyway, it's not worth recompiling a kernel, rebooting and then hoping
95 it will have the right device thingys.
96
97 This thread has been interesting tho.  At least I know that a Sandisk
98 card at least tries to fail in a way that I can get the data off that
99 did get written to the card.  Hey, that's a lot better than some I
100 guess.  :-D  I've had some other brands that when they die, they dead.
101 You get nothing at all.
102
103 Dale
104