From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clone a running gentoo machine onto another machine
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:05:15
1 Hello
2
3 On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:29:39PM +0300, Benyamin Dvoskin wrote:
4 > I've been wondering how one can clone an entire gentoo system and copy it to
5 > another physical machine , while the original system is still running (
6 > means , ghost , acronis and other tools that force me to shutdown the system
7 > are not acceptable )
8 >
9 > So , someone told me to try just "tar" the whole system to the other machine
10 > and "untar" it there.
11
12 rsync is usually faster, as it reads the first one and writes to the
13 second one at the same time. You should read its' man page, there are
14 nice things like '-x' flag (so it copies only one filesystem and does
15 not enter sub-filesystems, like dev and)
16
17 As it uses ssh by default, you need only sshd on the remote server and
18 you can tweak thinks like compression while transferring.
21 All flame and insults will go to /dev/null (if they fit)
22
23 Michal 'vorner' Vaner