From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xdm doesn't try to start (Gentoo issue)
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 00:51:58
1 Grant writes:
2
3 > I have two hardware-identical laptops exhibiting different behavior
4 > WRT xdm. xdm doesn't try to start automatically on one of the laptops
5 > but does on the other. On the one that does not start xdm, I get this
6 > on startup:
7 >
8 > # rc-update -s | grep xdm
9 > xdm | default
10 > # /etc/init.d/xdm status
11 > * status: stopped
12 > # /etc/init.d/xdm start
13 >
14 > and xdm/lightdm starts just fine. What could be the problem? It
15 > works perfectly on the other laptop.
16
17 Is there any error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, before you start xdm manually?
18 Watch during boot which services are being started after xdm, maybe xdm
19 depends on something that is not available yet. You could add the needed
20 service to the depend() function in /etc/init.d/xdm in this case.
21
22 Wonko