From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Replacements for ivman
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:50:37
1 On Saturday 11 October 2008 20:53:37 Erik Hahn wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 01:24:03PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > I'm looking into ivman and pmount for automounting amongst other things
4 > > while using e17.
5 > >
6 > > ivman was last updated Feb 2007 according to the official sourceforge
7 > > page, and the maintainer is listed as "????". 18 months is a long time,
8 > > so this package looks like it's unmaintained.
9 >
10 > Does software rot when it's unmaintained or why is that a problem?
11 >
12 > The only problem I can see are unfixed bugs but these exist in
13 > maintained packages as well.
14
15 ivman is closely tied in with hal and dbus, both of which have a history of
16 hitting users with incompatibilities. I'd rather not deal with those issues
17 for this usage, and reserve my willingness to bug-hunt for other areas
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com